Training for citizen volunteers and professionals on how to respond to disasters and emergencies.
Broome County Community Emergency Response Team (BC CERT)
- Broome County CERT members are an auxiliary force of trained emergency volunteers who can respond, assist, and support emergency personnel. BC CERT offers a 7 week training course once a year – CLICK HERE FOR 2015 FLYER. Read more about Broome County CERT at http://www.gobroomecounty.com/cert.
American Red Cross Training Opportunities
Disaster Action Team (DAT)
- Red Cross DAT volunteers are the first to the scene of a disaster and provide immediate relief assistance such as shelter, food and clothing to people displaced as a result of a disaster, as well as follow-up services in the wake of a disaster. Call (607) 785-7207 or visit http://www.redcross.org/ny/endicott/volunteer/disaster-services to learn about joining the Southern Tier Chapter Disaster Action Team.
CPR & First Aid Training
- The Red Cross offers a variety of options to become First Aid and CPR certified, from in-person trainings to online courses to blended trainings. For a listing of classes, visit http://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/program-highlights/cpr-first-aid.
Additional Red Cross Volunteer Opportunities
- For a full listing of volunteer opportunities with the Red Cross, visit http://www.redcross.org/support/volunteer/opportunities.
Broome County Animal Response Team (BCART)
- VOLUNTEERS WANTED! Call (607) 778-2170 to get involved. BCART is a group of trained, certified volunteers integrated with the Broome County Emergency Services department and the New York State Animal Response Team. They are dedicated to helping animals survive natural and man-made disasters. They need volunteers not only with animal handling, but with phone calls, photography and record-keeping, shelter setup and breakdown, supplies acquisition and donations management, volunteer and community outreach, and much more. Learn more at http://www.gobroomecounty.com/e911/bcart or at their Facebook page.
FEMA Independent Study Courses
- Increase your understanding of the National Incident Management System, the Incident Command System, and how agencies and organizations work together in disaster. Courses are free and available online at http://training.fema.gov/is/